All of us are aware of the importance of water for our body. Almost 90% of the human body is made up of water. Every cell in every tissue is made up of water. Lack of water can lead to many health problems. The problem becomes acute during summers when keeping yourself hydrated becomes a challenge as our body tends to lose more water in the form of sweat.
On average a person should drink around 11 cups of water. However, not all of us are focused and determined enough to carry a bottle of water wherever we go. Good news is that you can get water from other sources and furthermore water can be made more interesting and nourishing too.
Here are some tips to keep your body hydrated this summer:
- Eat your water: You must be wondering if I have got my English right by suggesting “eat your water”. Well, of course, this is possible. There are many different vegetable and fruits which have an abundance of water and eating of which can help your body hydrated this summer.
- Watermelon: Watermelon is a miraculous food if you want to keep your body hydrated and skin young. Watermelon contains at least 92% of water. As a cherry on the cake, watermelon is also rich in vitamin A and C and is a good source of potassium. Presence of vitamin A and vitamin C makes it very beneficial for your skin too.
- Cucumber: Cucumber contains almost 96% of water. It Is also a rich source of vitamin K and B6 and contains high amounts of iron. This makes it not only good to keep our body hydrated but also makes it good for our skin too.
- Tomatoes: This humble fruit contains almost 96% per cent of water. Thank god that we in India love our salad with tomatoes. Tomato has made it on my top 3 picks as it is not only rich in water but also in vitamin C and furthermore, it also contains a very powerful antioxidant known as lycopene which makes it a great warrior against cell damage.
- Drink infused water: You would have known this type of water as detox water. This is a great way to drink your water as it makes drinking water more interesting, tasty, and healthy. You can infuse your water with different fruits and vegetables and there are quite a few recipes for making such kind of infused drink. Different type of infused water helps you in tackling different problems. For example:
- Mint + Lime: This helps in fat burning & digestion.
- Strawberry + Kiwi: This helps in building the immune system and improves our digestion.
- Cucumber +Lime: This combination is good for digestion, great for weight loss and helps in appetite control.
- Avoid drinking alcohol: A cold beer which may be a good reason behind you and your friends to get together may not be a good answer to keep your body hydrated during summer days. Alcohol tends to dehydrate your body faster. It can lead to a decrease in the production of a hormone which is responsible for absorbing water. Recommendation from my side would be that if you want to drink alcohol make sure that you are also drinking at least a glass of water to compensate for any dehydration due to alcohol.
- Coconut water: Coconut water is a very good substitute for water and is a perfect drink to replenish water in your body. It helps to restore electrolytes in your body which helps to maintain the fluid balance. Not only this, coconut also contains potassium, magnesium, and sodium – some very essential minerals for our body.
I hope the above tips would help your body to stay hydrated this summer, even if you are not a big enthusiast in drinking water. So, go ahead; be innovative and intake water in a variety of ways and stay hydrated even when the Sun outside is unforgiving.